Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I am back from my quick trip to Arizona.  It definitely did NOT go as planned, but it was a success in it's own way.  Murphy and his law followed my mom and I from our first step into the Portland airport to the moment I pulled in her driveway to drop her off.  I don't think it would be super interesting if I listed each detail of things gone awry, but I will give you the highlights to give you a "feel" for the trip.
We left Salem early, wanting to get to the airport and checked in without feeling rushed.  Thank goodness we did.  My mom had checked in early online but I had to go to the desk and show Savannah's birth certificate to show she was young enough to fly on my lap.  Not a big deal.  At least it wasn't a big deal until we made it to security and were both turned back...my mom because she tried to get through with an itinerary (I KNOW how weird that didn't "fly" with them) and me because the man at the counter had handed me an empty envelope with no boarding passes in it.  So we both headed back to start over.  After working our way through the zigzagging roped off area leading to security again we dutifully put our things on the conveyor belt and stepped through the metal detector.  My mom passed with flying colors.  I did too, but because of the long skirt I was wearing and the possibility of massive weapons under said long skirt I was sent to stand in a clear box while someone was called over to pat me down.  My mom, oblivious that I wasn't right behind her, glanced back to see Savannah standing with me in the box with her hands and face pressed to the box trying to get out.  She said it reminded her of a mime.  So funny!  (At this point things were still funny). Because of my short imprisonment, I hadn't been able to get all my things off the conveyor belt which left my mom scrambling to gather everything together and keep the line from backing up to Timbuktu.  Someone worthy was finally found to do my pat down and we were on our way.  Or so we thought.  We made it to our gate before my mom realized in all the ruckus she had misplaced her cell phone.  So back she went to get it from the now familiar folks in security.  (Thanks TSA!)
As we waited for our flight my mom explained she had a preboarding pass which would allow us to board before everyone else and hopefully snag the first row of seats.  These seats have more leg room and would allow Savannah the option of stretching her legs during flight.  After announcing they were starting to board, my mom (although she disputes this happened) pointed me to the area where there was a line with several mothers, babies, and strollers.  I headed over, thinking she was right behind me.  Once there, I turned to get my boarding pass from her and realized she wasn't there.  hmm.  I figured she had gone to throw away some garbage and would be right back.  I craned my head, searching the immediate area to no avail.  Surely she hadn't boarded without me!  I began looking through my bags, frantically trying to find the boarding pass for Savannah and myself.  Nada.  I realized she must have gotten on the plane with them.  I made my way to the ticket taker and explained the situation, asking if there was any way they could pretty please get her to come back out so I could get the passes.  He sent me away, with a disapproving look, to the check in counter to print out more.  After FINALLY making it on the plane I found my mother, waging her own battles trying to keep the vultures from stealing the seats she valiantly defended for me.  Sitting in her lap was my book with the boarding passes serving as nifty bookmarks. 
Fast forward to arriving in Phoenix where my grandmother was supposed to be picking us up at the North gate.  And then the South gate...after much weary confusion we were all safely seated and on our way to the hotel.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Scottsdale which was quite nice.  The rooms were, well, roomy with the living room and bedroom separated by some french doors.  The lobby was cozy with comfortable leather sofas surrounding a merrily lit Christmas tree.  They served complimentary breakfast in the morning, chili in the evening and milk and cookies after that.  So cool!
The whole lobby was decorated with garland, ornaments and poinsettias.  Very festive.
After we decided to retire for the night I laid Savannah down in the crib they had wheeled up for our convenience.  And she proceeded to scream and cry into the wee hours of the morning.  She didn't want food, she didn't want to be in bed with me, she didn't want anything but to make sure no one was able to get sleep.  I ended up taking her into the living area and sleeping with her on the floor so she could wander if so inclined.  Not a restful night.  The next morning we woke up bright and early for breakfast and then our trek to Dr.Ray's office.  I will save the actual office visit for another post.
We left the office with renewed hope and vigor...some more than others.
After arriving back at the hotel, I put Savannah down for a nap knowing she would conk out immediately.  Not so much.  Again, crying, and screaming which subsided to talking to herself for at least 30 minutes before she finally FINALLY fell asleep.  And so did I.  As the sun outside was shining in 75 degree weather, I was holed up in my hotel room trying to make up for the night of missed sleep.  That evening we ordered pizza and called it a night.  Days in Arizona: 2.  Days in Arizona sun:0.  Not what I had planned.
That night Savannah went to sleep quickly, only waking up once to come hang out with the grownups for a little bit before going back to sleep.  Hurray!
The next morning it was breakfast again and then an early start to the airport. We were convinced things would go differently.  I checked in one of my bags to make things easier in flight.  We showed up at our gate nice and early, like good travelers do.  My mom again had procured a preboarding pass and we were determined to stick together.  And then the wheelchairs started arriving.  Apparently, wheelchairs take precedence over preboarders who are on their own two feet.  No big deal we thought.  And then more wheelchairs came.  And more.  We might have gotten a little hysterical at this point.  But we weren't the only ones.  As the wheelchair brigade grew longer and longer I noticed other passengers discreetly (and some not so discreetly) taking pictures of this train of elderly people.  It was like the airlines was running a 2 for 1 senior special.  Or like the Phoenix Center for Seniors had decided a field trip to see the snow in Oregon was needed.  At last count there were 15 wheelchairs.  Lined up in 3 lanes like quarter horses at the track.  Miracle of miracles, we were able to still find a spot in the first row, next to one of the elderly racers.  It's a trip I am sure he will never forget. 
It looked so promising to start off with.  As we sat getting ready to taxi, Savannah's eyes were growing heavy and the flight attendants predicted she would be out like a light as soon as we took off.  And oh how I hoped they were right.  But alas, it was not to be.  She screamed for about half the flight.  A two hour flight.  She wanted up when she was down and down when she was up.  She wanted crackers and then she wanted to throw the crackers on the floor.  There was no pleasing her.  And unfortunately that meant there was no pleasing the innocent victims around us.  I contemplated spending the trip in the bathroom, hopefully muffling her shrill shrieks.  But seeing as we were on an elderly flight, the restroom was busy earning it's keep, if you know what I mean.
After traumatizing the entire plane, we landed safely and rushed to leave the airport behind us.  I think we were all ready to get home and relax in our own snug beds.  Which we did after after enduring a few snafus with parking, meeting up with Heather to drop off her son Zachary...you get the idea.
Will I go back to Arizona? Definitely!  Will I be taking sweet little Savannah?  Not so much.
I am going to end this post here, but fear not!  I will try to post again tonight with some pictures and maybe some details of the doctor's visit itself.
Until we meet again,
adieu!

2 comments:

  1. I was hard pressed to remember the Christmas tree. Like, I couldn't picture it AT ALL. Now I can, but it's fuzzy.

    The bathroom on my plane was quite busy, too, and I also procured a seat in the front row. I had quite a few seniors in wheelchairs on the same flight, but never saw them.

    Next time we go to Arizona there will be no children and LOTS of sitting in the sun. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. laughing til I'm crying! So true, just so true! (Except the part about sending you to stand in line with the other parents ;) ). You are a hysterical writer! and since God says that laughter is good like a medicine, I guess I'm going to get even better, right?

    ReplyDelete