Monday, March 7, 2011

D is for...

Darling Dishes! 
My niece Kate is turning 6 on St Patrick's Day and has made it known that her heart's desire (other than a new baby brother or sister. ahem. Ruth Anne?) is a tea set.  I looked around online and at several stores, but all the sets I saw looked either too cheap and plasticky, too miniature, or like they were laced with lead.  Not good.  So I decided to go to one of my favorite stores...

Goodwill.
 I love that place.  I used to make the rounds every weekend just for fun.  Lately I have been trying to go only when I have something specific in mind.
Anyways, I picked up these lovelies...
I got a set of 4, with a couple extra pieces in case of an accident.  Aren't they so absolutely sweet?  I love them.  I am aware it might be a little nutso to give breakables to a 6 year old.  But I think she will love them.  I think she will feel so special using them and serving people tea or something like it. And I didn't spend a fortune on them so there will be no dismay should pieces get broken.  Plus I found a nifty little box for her to pack them away in.
See how perfectly they all are nestled inside?

I am so excited to have our first tea party together!  I will be sure to post pics when we do.


D is also for...
Dumpster Diving
I took my trash out this evening and when I entered the gated dumpster area I was surprised and delighted to find this little treasure...

Ok. Maybe "treasure" is stretching it a little.  It's basically one step up from milk crates.  And it looks like it belongs in a college dorm room. BUT it is sturdy, clean, and can help bring order to the chaos that threatens to take over my home.  I proudly picked it up and carried it back to my place.  Maybe "proudly" is stretching it a little too.  More like I glanced around furtively, thankful for the cloak of darkness the night provided, before holding it down and casually strolling back to my apartment.  All the while ready to ditch it and bolt should anyone notice that I was furnishing my home with trash.  Shhhh....
Thrifty Thelma; that's me!

2 comments:

  1. That tea set is SO cute! I had to hurridly scroll down real fast cuz Kate walked by while I was admiring it. ;-)

    And look at you all high tech linking to my blog! Go you!

    And way to go Thrifty Thelma! I want to come help you organize sometime soon. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness!!! I need to go check out that Goodwill! I need a couple more sets of tea cups and saucers. (as evidenced by today's tea with the grandkids--when one of them (who shall remain unnamed)DIDN'T want to drink tea out of the "bowl". Couldn't convince her it was an actual Chinese tea cup.) so... in your ramblings, maybe you could look for me? I like bright, pretty colored--no pastel and no boring :) Thanks :0

    ReplyDelete